Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

7/28/11

Abq Old School Taught Me Few Good Beauty Tricks

Last weekend I took a homemade beauty products class from Abq Old School. I have been inspired to start experimenting with new beauty products using the recipes from this class. So far, I've made a citrus, peppermint, apricot and chocolate peppermint lip balm using a tweaked version of the in-class recipe. Here are my tweaked measurements:

Lip Balm------------
1 TBSP solid oil base (shea, cocoa butter. Any solid oil at room temperature)
2 TBSP liquid oil base (olive oil, sunflower oil. Any liquid oil at room temperature
2 TBSP grated beeswax
20 drops essential oil (30 drops if using peppermint)

Melt together the oils and wax together in a double boiler. Remove from heat and add the essential oils, then pour into lip balm containers. Makes 10 lip balms.


The class taught me some great new tricks. I've switched over to all glass measuring cups to melt my oils in rather than plastic. I've also started using a grater for my beeswax. Maybe in future beeswax renderings, I can work on a way to create beeswax beads so that I can eliminate the cheese grater stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment