Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

8/11/11

Mason Bee Bamboo House

Eeeeeeek! I just got an unexpected gift from my friend Sam. This is a Mason Bee Bamboo House and I plan to hang it as soon as I stop typing. I don't know a lot about this type of bee so you probably could get just about as much dirt as I do by doing a wikipedia search on the species. Apparently Mason bees are solitary and don't produce honey or beeswax. The males are stingless and the females rarely sting. Each female is reproductive and the bees are early springtime pollinators.

I imagine the California Carpenter bee could also make a home in this house in the 3/4" holes. I'll see what emerges come springtime.

3 comments:

  1. http://biochemicalsoul.com/2009/04/the-carpenter-bee-and-her-mate/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricola, that was a sweet bee love story. I like it. Thanks for the info on carpenter bees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards, Seattle exterminators

    ReplyDelete