Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

2/22/12

First Drone of the Season!

Here he is. The first hunky chunky drone of the year! The poor fella's wing is torn so he can't fly. Finding this drone means swarm season is close. I better start dusting off my cardboard box and bee vaccuum for the swarm calls I will be getting starting in March. The bees start making drones in spring to impregnate virgin queen bees from other hives and spreading out the hives genetics. Drones (boy bees) don't sting and my 5 year old is playing with him in the lower photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment