Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

4/1/12

My 2 Favorite Top Bar Tricks


Here are my 2 fav's for this year. 

1. For a hive stand, I borrowed this idea from Kate Whealen in Santa Fe. You stack a hay bail on top of a wood pallet and then put the hive on top. The pallet keeps flooding away from the hay. The hay can be reused in the garden when it degrades and the hives are the perfect height for working the bees. Sturdy and cheap!


2. For feeders when starting out packages and swarms, I don't know if other people are doing this, but this idea came to me a couple days ago. I cut out a board in the dimension of 4 top bars, cut 2 holes in the top the same dimensions as mason jar lids. I then poke holes in the top of of the quart size mason jars with push pins, fill the jars with sugar water and put the feeders at the back of the hive. The cool thing about this trick is that I can see when the jars need to be filled and the whole thing fits under my corrugated metal lids. I also don't have to open up the hive to refill their sugar water. I haven't noticed a problem with temperature fluctuations emptying the feeders into the hive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment