Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

5/29/11

Peace in the morning at AMYO farms

I'm slowly moving these hives into more daytime sunlight. The rule is you can't move hives more than 3 feet at a time or the bees can't find their way home easily. I broke this rule by moving these hives 6 feet in the middle of the day so my strong hive Guatemala's field force could start getting distributed among the other weaker hives. It's an experiment. I suspect Guatemala was stealing the other hive's field forces to begin with. Bees aren't necessarily married to a queen. Sure, each hive has a certain smell, but sometimes the guard bees aren't paying enough attention and bees from other hives can move on in. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you have these all oriented the same way with the same cover. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete