Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

4/25/13

Swarm Gift

Had a delightful swarm gift experience today. Clay, the bird man at the local Albuquerque Zoo gave me a call saying that the zoo had a melon shaped swarm, he had caught it in a couple of boxes and wanted someone to pick it up. Took me about 15 minutes to throw my girls in the car and pick up some free bees! As always, I'm dumbstruck by random acts of kindness and generosity.

Waiting at the zoo for free bees

The swarm, packed up in tidy packages

The top bar hive is prepped with 1:4 sugar water

Gave them a frame of brood to entice the swarm to stay

The swarm after I shook them into the hive

Fanning the nazanoff scent, saying "this is a great place to live, come find us"

Japan is back in business with a new hive

Clay and I chatted bees and he told me his "hero" story of catching the swarm and his coworkers being amazed at his daring! 




No comments:

Post a Comment