Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

2/23/11

February, the best and worst of times

The bee season is starting in New Mexico. I just spotted light white pollen in the worker bee pollen sacs. Is is Mulberry, elm, juniper, early blooming bulbs, sawdust from the construction next door, crystalized Mountain Dew? Ha! I don't know.

I do know that I just lost one of my hives within the last 2 weeks. I've been babying this creature since it got sick last summer. I suspect the workers were exposed to a weed killer sprayed during blooming season.  This is just one of the results of living in a cities close quarters. I'm mourning for this hive. How do I get some closure for you? Maybe I will have to buy a bundle of plastic flowers and put it where your hive has been sitting. Either way, I have the fruits of your labors in a glass jar labeled wildflower honey and I will think of you every time I sample it.

1 pound of honey= a visit to 2 million flowers
It takes 8 drops of nectar to make 1 drop of honey. It takes 11 drops of honey to make 1 drop of wax

3 comments:

  1. Who is this little red monster under your hive?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a monster baby wading pool.... tempting children into splashing around a bee hive! Ha, ha, ha. So evil!

    ReplyDelete