Topbar Beekeeping

I'm an urban topbar beekeeper in Albuquerque, NM. I manage hives in backyards and small organic farms within city limits. These hives are probably pollinating your veggie patches right now. Visit my website at: http://brownsdowntownbees.com/

9/12/11

Come see "Live Bees" at the NM State Fair

I just helped the Abq Beeks by manning the demonstration hive inside the Agriculture Building on Sunday. I lured people in with a sign that said "live bees" and then as everyone was mesmerized by the sight of 3000 buzzing, stinging insects, trapped in a glass hive, I talked my throat sore about drones, workers, queens and wax. This was a great outreach to the community about bees!

I was the first one to the Agriculture building on Sunday and it it took some head scratching for me to figure out how to open up the demonstration hive windows. I stopped myself 1/2 second short from releasing all the bees into the room. All I had to do was turn one knob 1/4" further and it could have really been a "live bees" exibit! I would have had to call a beekeeper or someone to get rid of all the bees. Anybody know a beekeeper?

Speaking of stopping myself 1/2 second short, I had to stop myself from beginning to tell an 8 year old about "the birds and the bees". She was wondering why there weren't any male bees (drones) in the hive and I was telling her that it's getting cold out, all the drones are getting kicked out of the hive, because there aren't as many mating flights, and that the queens get inseminated by the drones, and then impregnated and.... uh oh. I locked eyes with the girls mom at that point at turned tomato red.

At around 2, I was relieved by the fab duo of Ed and Louella Costanza. That pair can "talk Eskimo's into buying snow". What I'm trying to say is that it is easy to get entranced by their words. When Ed starts talking, a crowd gathers to hear to what he has to say.

There will also bee "live bees" next Saturday and Sunday from 11 pm-6 pm at the Fair in the Agriculture building, manned by "live beekeepers", so come with your questions.

All this happened while I was basking in the glow of my 2nd place award for wax in the NM State Fair. I didn't win anything for my honey, but there was stiff competition this year. I counted at least 50 honey entries.


Here I am entering my honey in the NM State Fair a few days ago. We're trying to decide if it's amber or light amber. Yup, dark amber.

No comments:

Post a Comment